Fusion Mineral Paint™ FAQ.
Q. What is Fusion Mineral Paint™?
- Fusion results are nothing less than spectacular, providing furniture painters a best-in-class paint that features; an environmentally conscious formulation, no VOC's, superior durability, easy one-step application and significantly improved strength. Delivering an exceptional matte finish, this 100% acrylic mineral based paint usually requires no priming, little to no sanding or top coat!
Q. Is Fusion Mineral Paint the same as "Chalk Style" paint?
- No it's not. Fusion is a 100% acrylic, water-based paint.
- The “mineral” in Fusion Mineral Paint™ refers to the pigments used which are harvested from the earth. Using natural rather than synthetic pigments allows for greater depth in colour and better durability to UV light. Once cured, a surface painted with Fusion is noth water and stain proof. No primer or top coat is required, making it more of a one-step kind of paint.
- Fusion is made up of 100% high quality acrylic resin and nothing less! This results in a consistent, cohesive and durable surface across your piece.
- So what exactly does that mean? It means that with Fusion you do not have to apply a top coat such as wax to seal the finish like you do over more porous paints like "Chalk Style" paints.
- Other paints on the market such as latex, or anything less than 100% acrylic are using low quality and high toxic vinyl and latex as they are inexpensive fillers. Fusion products are made up of only the highest quality materials. They are also free from many other chemicals currently in other paint lines such as ammonia and formaldehyde. Fusion contains non of these.
Q. What colours and sizes does Fusion Mineral Paint™ come in?
- Fusion comes in over 50 beautiful colours. Fusion comes in handy Pint and Tester Pot sizes. Fusion offers incredible coverage of 75 sq.ft. per pint (500 ml)
Q. What prep work is required prior to painting my piece?
- Before painting make sure your piece is free of dust, dirt or residue built-up (ie:wax). Clean the surface with a mixture of warm water and dish soap or TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) for any heavy greasy residue. If your piece has a wax built-up use Mineral Spirits to cut the wax then lightly sand and wipe clean prior to painting.
- As Fusion Mineral Paint™ is self-priming, generally priming is not required however a paint will only perform as well as the surface that it's being applied to. No matter what paint product you use, if you apply paint to an unstable surface, the paint will not adhere properly. Many surfaces have been previously finished with lacquers or have a high gloss finish, so a little prep when needed goes a long way. Lightly sanding your piece with 220 grit (medium) sand paper before painting is always recommended.
- Fusion Mineral Paint™ "Ultra Grip" makes it possible to paint over laminate, melamine, plastic, those flat smooth IKEA cabinets, you name it. You can now use Fusion Mineral Paint™ on virtually any non-porous surface with excellent results!
- Make sure the paint is mixed well prior to using either by stirring it well upon opening or gently turning the container over (back and forth) in your hands a few times prior to opening.
- Because of it's great consistency adding water when painting is not recommended unless you are wanting to create a wash effect.
Q. How many coats is required?
- Fusion Mineral Paint™ coverage is outstanding! In most cases one or two coats is all you need. Fusion is dry to the touch after 2 hours and can accept a re-coat after 4 hours. Cure time with all acrylic paints is 21 days, however painted surfaces can be used gently after 24 to 48 hours of drying time.
Q. Do I have to seal the piece after painting?
- Once Fusion has cured (21 days), it yields a highly durable and washable finish, with no need for a top coat. However if you feel you need a little added protection ie: top of a dining table or kitchen cabinets etc., then you can use a water based poly over Fusion for extra durability. Fusion has made a product called "Tough Coat" which is a clear non-yellowing matte or shiny water based polyurethane for this very purpose.
- Fusion is water resistant and scrub-able. It is also UV protective so great for all of your outdoor furniture too.
Q. Can I distress a piece of furniture to give it that aged distressed look?
- Absolutely! This paint is extremely easy to work with, though we recommend distressing sooner than later. It is best to distress once your paint has thoroughly dried. As Fusion Mineral Paint™ is so durable, achieving a distressed look takes a little more elbow grease one your piece has fully cured.
- See the video below for a "wet distressing" technique that you can use to distress and smooth out your paint finish.